Sponsored

Sunday, August 11, 2019

The mysterious forests that will surely kill people

So where would you go to commit suicide? I quite often think that if I was going to do it, it would be right here at my desk in the office, although being bored to death is probably more likely.

Globally, the most popular suicide destination is the Golden Gate Bridge where they rack up 1,500 jumpers per year; In third spot is my local Sussex death spot – Beachy Head, where, on average, 20 struggling souls are dashed on the rocks per annum.

The number two position, however, is held by a 35km square patch of forest at the foot of Mount Fuji in Japan. It’s called Aokigahara or “sea of trees”. They have as many as 100 suicides a year. I like the weird stuff they do in Japan, but I don’t like this at all.

The woods there are particularly dense, which means that they are only sparsely populated by critters, there’s little breeze, and even at high noon light is scarce. All considered it’s an eerie, goose bump inducing shitbox. And that’s before you mention the rotting corpses strewn willy nilly throughout the leaf litter.  Because the forest is so thick and rarely explored, the bodies aren’t normally found until the rangers have their annual trawl through the forest. Many are missed as the place is so convoluted. I don’t think I’m going to bother going there tbh.